If you want to study medicine in the United States, taking the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is a must. Passing one of the most difficult standardized exams, after all, is a requirement for getting accepted into medical school, and that requires a lot of preparation on your part.
The good thing is, there are available courses to help you study for the test, which means you wouldn’t have to go it alone. Of these, the Kaplan brand is undoubtedly considered the best.
Here’s how the Kaplan MCAT prep course can help you get into med school:
Table of Contents
1. Has Topnotch Instructors
The Kaplan brand boasts of topnotch MCAT prep course instructors who represent the cream of the crop, having scored themselves within the 90th percentile on their own MCATs. The percentile score essentially tells a test-taker how they fared compared to the other test-takers.
A 90th percentile score means 90 percent of those who took the test received the same score or lower. This means that the test-taker who got that score is in the top ten percent of those who took the exam. In scaled score form, a 90th percentile score lies within the 514 to 528 total score range, with the overall score of 528 being the highest possible score an MCAT taker can get.
Just to give you an idea of how much genius is involved here, to achieve that scaled score, a test-taker should have gotten points within the following ranges in each of the topics that figure in the MCAT (note that a score of 132 is the highest possible score an MCAT taker can get in each topic):
- Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems: This portion tests the MCAT taker’s knowledge of chemical and physical principles and their ability to apply these to living things.
- Range: 129-132
- Critical Analysis and Reading Skills: This portion tests the MCAT taker’s logical reasoning.
- Range: 129-132
- Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems: This portion tests the MCAT taker’s knowledge of the relevant life processes such as growth and reproduction, and his knowledge of organ systems, cells, and processes in which they are involved.
- Range: 129-132
- Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior: This portion tests the MCAT takers knowledge of the determinants of socio-cultural behavior.
- Range: 129-132
With such intellectually gifted instructors, anyone is in good hands.
2. Good MCAT Prep Resources
Kaplan MCAT prep materials are designed to fully prepare aspiring medical students for the grueling exam. They’re easy to understand and help the aspiring medical student to memorize concepts by providing them with mnemonic devices. The resources are also exhaustive and cover all the topics that one needs to know to get a good grade.
But apart from this, Kaplan MCAT prep resources come in different forms. This is a good thing because it gives the MCAT taker the liberty to choose which study platform and allow them to memorize concepts better.
Below are only some of the MCAT prep resources Kaplan offers:
- Textbooks: Those who memorize better when reading can use these materials. Kaplan’s textbook set is composed of seven books on the following:
- Organic chemistry
- General chemistry
- Critical analysis and reasoning skills
- Psychology and Sociology
The textbooks also include three full-length practice exams.
- Videos: Those who memorize better through audiovisual content can use these to study. On the Kaplan YouTube channel, you can even find videos on topics unrelated to science but are also relevant, like insider tips on how to wing a med school interview, for example.
- Online Classes: Those who wish to combine videos and reading material can avail of these for seven hours daily. MCAT takers can also check out practical tips for online students to ensure better learning.
That’s not to say, however, that an aspiring medical student can’t avail of all of MCAT’s prep resources. Each person’s studying platform preference is different and the good thing is, Kaplan actually recognizes that.
3. A Personalized Way of Teaching
The thing about Kaplan is that it doesn’t merely give the MCAT taker the materials they need to study. Its method of teaching is personalized in a way that it recognizes that the needs of students and that it needs to interact with the student to know what these are and be responsive.
Here are some ways Kaplan does this:
- Kaplan teachers can be reached even outside the classroom: A student who has a question on a subject can still ask instructors even after the live online class.
- Kaplan offers a one-on-one tutoring option: Those who can’t cope in a big class or prefer to supplement their studies with a tutor can avail of this option.
- Kaplan offers an adaptive Question Bank: This resource allows the student to choose which topics they want to focus on.
In short, Kaplan doesn’t treat students as just one body of people. Kaplan sees the individual student and their learning needs.
Kaplan has proven that it lives up to its reputation as the best MCAT prep course provider. With its high-quality products, the student can be assured of adequate preparation for what lies ahead.
Truly, no MCAT can stop a Kaplan-prepared individual who’s determined to get into that medical school of their dreams.