RPA is one of the most effective tools for updating legacy systems and continues to grow in popularity. The use of modern solutions is mandatory for those who intend to maintain a fast pace of market development and satisfy the wishes of customers. If you want to rebuild an application with legacy code, then this article is for you. You will learn about the role of RPA in modernizing legacy code.
Table of Contents
What Is RPA
RPA systems are a modern technological solution that comes to the rescue for automating many routine processes.
Modern RPA systems are capable of performing a large number of actions:
- open applications, and email accounts;
- copy information, paste the necessary data into the necessary cells;
- navigate sites, drive data into web forms, press buttons on sites;
- recognize text;
- collect data from different sources into a single one;
- compare and verify information;
- communicate via messengers (chatbots);
- RPA technology frees employees from the most routine work, which they can do much faster and more accurately than a person.
How You Can Use RPA Automation
An RPA system is indispensable when you need to transfer data from legacy systems. Instead of spending hundreds of hours manually transferring information, you can use RPA solutions.
In addition, you can integrate with an existing system and work with it, not directly, but through the RPA platform, which, in turn, will get access to the desired system through the API.
If you need to enter data into an uncontrolled system through the site, this is also a great opportunity to robotize the process. For example, filling out reports for government agencies is often done through specialized portals and services. There is no escape from this responsibility, but this process is time-consuming and does not bring any benefit to the company.
Collecting data from different systems is a very tedious task. To quickly download all the information about a particular client or project, RPA fits perfectly.
Sometimes you need to transfer data from one system to another. For example, register a client by entering all his data into the registration form. RPA technology allows you not to burden employees with these routine tasks.
Benefits of Using an RPA System
RPA is arguably the most affordable and easiest way to automate processes because it doesn’t involve interfering with third-party application code. On many platforms, the order of operations for the robot can be set by a person who does not understand anything in programming, which significantly reduces the time and cost of deployment.
- high operational efficiency (the robot performs actions quickly and accurately, does not violate instructions, and does not get tired, unlike a person).
- risk management (each action of the robot is reflected in statuses and automatically saved in logs, each transaction can be tracked with 100% accuracy).
- additional flexibility (this is a technology with a low entry threshold, it is easy to scale and adapt to new tasks).
- structured data source (RPA) provides access to information from external sources, including websites, search engines, widgets, mobile applications, and the processes themselves.
- staff satisfaction (the introduction of RPA frees people from routine work, and allows them to use their real talents for the benefit of the company’s development).
- confidentiality (robots are silent, blind, and obedient, so they can be used to process sensitive information, the leakage of which can harm the company’s customers).
RPA Technology Limitations
Let’s figure out when RPA can bring real benefits to a business. To do this, you need to understand the limitations that technology brings.
- Performance limits. The robot interacts with the system in the same way as a human does. He opens the menu with the mouse, enters characters sequentially into the form fields, and performs other actions instead of a person. Such a channel is limited by the bandwidth of the user interface.
- Sensitivity to change. Robots cannot adapt to change on their own. If the menu suddenly moves to a different area during a system upgrade, the robot will break. The problem can be corrected with AI-enabled platforms or smarter workspace search algorithms, but this reduces the return on investment from deployment.
- Chaotization of IT architecture. RPA creates another layer of software that tends to get more and more complex. Digital workers are obedient, but they still need to be managed, which means hiring specialists, buying platforms and licenses, and the need to audit security rules. At a certain stage, RPA becomes an anchor that hinders development.
What Role Does RPA Play In The Transformation of Legacy Systems?
RPA is a convenient and efficient solution for the gradual transformation of legacy systems. The main features of this solution are focused on automating routine tasks. This is a great opportunity for those who want to rebuild an application with legacy code.
- Automation with RPA is more flexible, faster, and more cost-effective. According to research from Deloitte, this solution met or even exceeded the expectations of 85% of respondents.
- RPA solutions are quite common. Due to their efficiency, these solutions are a reliable way to update systems with legacy code.
Benefits of using RPA with legacy systems:
- Implementation time is minimal. RPA does not involve writing code or using other complex software. For this reason, integration is faster and more efficient, while maintaining performance.
- Budget. The use of RPA does not involve huge material resources or the involvement of many specialists. This distinguishes RPA from similar solutions on the market. Budget allows integrators to scale more quickly, as well as maintain flexibility in the allocation of resources.
- No security issues. RPA allows you to maintain a high level of security for integrators. They can fully control access authorization and manage sensitive data.
Software robots provide full automation of data transfer from legacy systems. The data is sent where it is intended. So, system integration is maximally simple and fast. If you want to rebuild an application with legacy code, we recommend contacting Modlogix, which qualitatively transforms legacy systems to improve business efficiency and maintain data security.