Imagine you are cooking a dish. You would need to buy all the ingredients and prepare them. However, you would need to start from scratch, if kitchen essentials like oil, pan, plates, knives, etc. are not present. What these essentials are to cooking, PHP frameworks are to web apps and websites.
The PHP framework is a universal platform of software that is used to build web apps and websites of diverse complexities and sizes. The reason why this open-source scripting language is being used widely is that it is stable and secure. The PHP developers wrote codes for every functionality and felt it is a tedious task. Therefore, they decided to resolve and came up with PHP frameworks.
Currently, there are multiple PHP frameworks available. We have listed the best PHP frameworks below.
Table of Contents
Laravel is probably the best PHP framework and this is why it the most popular one. Launched in 2011, this framework has the ability to handle complex web applications securely and at a significantly higher speed than other frameworks. Laravel eases out the common tasks like sessions, caching, routing, authentication, and simplifying the process of development.
- Laravel has an elegant syntax.
- You can extend its core functionality by using add-ons.
- Laravel handles user management, routing, caching, etc.
- It fastens the process of app development.
Many developers call Symfony the best PHP framework. It is because Symfony is highly flexible and has a bundle and component system that lets you cherry-pick desirable PHP functions. There is a built-in testing functionality to let you test your application’s running.
- It is easy to understand, as it possesses excellent documentation.
- You can test how your app will run using its in-built testing functionality.
- You can set up individual components or use the app as a whole.
- It is the best PHP framework for developing huge enterprise projects as it is easy to configure and install on most platforms.
It is the best PHP framework for beginners. The platform has excellent documentation which will help you in learning the basics. CodeIgniter uses the Model View Controller (MVC) architecture. The presence of MVC means that a user can use distinct components for specific development tasks.
- It is more useful for lightweight app development.
- You can start quickly because of CodeIgniter’s simplicity and detailed documentation.
- You can create scalable apps using CodeIgniter’s MVC architecture.
- It is not good for applications that require high-level security as CodeIgniter’s releases are somewhat irregular.
Abbreviation for ‘Yes, it is!’, the Yii framework is simple and evolutionary. It possesses robust security features that help in creating highly secure projects. It has a core developer team of experts that contributed to its development. This means that you can post issues on Yes, it is’s forums and get help.
- Yii has a simple installation process along with robust security features and thus, it is the best PHP framework for developing highly secure endeavors like forums, e-commerce projects, portals, etc.
- It boasts exceptional performance and speed.
- Yii uses a default setup that is customizable to meet your specific needs.
It was the first PHP framework using MVC and was launched in the early 2000s. It has a crud (create, read, update, delete) framework which makes it the best PHP framework for novice developers. This framework has come a long way with several updates and additions over time.
- It is easy to install, as one only needs a copy of CakePHP and a web server.
- It is very easy to understand and use.
- CakePHP is the best PHP framework for commercial applications because it has security features like input validation, SQL injection prevention, cross-site scripting (XSS), and cross-site request forgery protection (CSRF).
- It boasts a modern framework, proper class inheritance, validation, fast builds, and premium support portals.
First released in 2011, FuelPHP is a flexible framework. It has its own hierarchical model view controller (HMVC) and also supports the MVC design pattern. Unlike MVC, the content does not duplicate and shows on multiple pages. Thus, it consumes less memory and time.
- It offers detailed documentation to start with developing as quickly as possible.
- With FuelPHP, developers provide end-to-end solutions. These solutions are diverse in complexities and sizes.
- It includes a caching system, URL routing system, vulnerability protection, and HMVC implementation.
Released in 2012, it was originally drafted in C++ and C. It is a framework which employs MVC web architecture. It is a C-extension of PHP and so, it is blazing fast. It lives up to its name as it delivers unparalleled results consistently. It is an uncluttered development framework, as it has no pre-installed files.
- It has an increased execution speed, top security, caching, etc.
- Because Phalcon has efficient memory utilization, it optimizes performance. Thus, it is the best PHP framework to create an exceptionally fast website.
- It is suitable for making highly configurable web apps.
- It is easy to install.