Videos are powerful marketing tools, which makes Instagram an equally potent platform to achieve your goals, such as improved brand awareness and increased sales.
However, Instagram can be extremely restrictive on the length of the video you can upload. The easiest way to get around it is to split a video online. This article also offers more tips, including how to boost your engagement.
Table of Contents
What Are Long Videos and Why Should You Post Them?
Long videos are considered to be any video content with a run time of more than 10 minutes. They may take the form of documentaries, interviews, tutorials, courses, and more.
The advantage of longer format content is that it offers greater depth and complexity when compared to shorter formats. Further:
- They provide an opportunity to tell intricate stories and dive deeper into certain topics or ideas.
- Viewers are offered more information in a single sitting and can develop a richer understanding of whatever the material is focusing on.
- Longer content can have superior production quality because they have the resource time and budget available layered into them that shorter pieces would not always receive.
- Long videos create an immersive experience that helps audiences connect intimately with different narratives and educational materials in a meaningful way.
One of the best places to post videos is Instagram. With over 1 billion monthly users and a history of driving meaningful engagement, it is easy to see why it is a great platform for this content type.
Viewers love being able to watch and comment as they go, with Instagram offering native video playback on both mobile and the web. The app also supports:
- Full-screen views
- Range of other features, including the ability to add captions, stickers, filters, and other creative content
- 1080p quality videos
- Cross-posting to other social media platforms, such as Facebook
The problem is Instagram is not YouTube. For example:
- Instagram Stories lets you post a video of up to 15 seconds.
- Instagram feeds can share videos for up to 10 minutes.
- Instagram Reels have videos up to 90 seconds.
In other words, a typical Instagram video length is between 15 seconds and 10 minutes.
How do you share long ones then? Fortunately, you can consider many techniques.
How to Post 60-Minute Videos on Instagram
You can explore many tactics to share long-form videos on Instagram:
- Edit the video to fit the allowed time length
- Break the video into shorter ones
- Go live
Let’s talk about each.
1. Edit the Video to Fit the Allowed Time Length
This is the simplest way of sharing long-form video content on Instagram.
- Trim it, which means you get rid of a portion of the beginning and end
- Cut it, which means removing some parts of the middle section
- Split it, which means dividing it into pieces that can fit the 10-minute limit
- Splice it, which means combining multiple videos at once
Doing this allows you to share the whole story without exceeding the time limit.
It is worth noting that many of these options require a bit of technical expertise. If you want to save money on production and you do not have good video manipulation skills, get a video editing platform.
Many of these types of software have the following features:
- Cut, copy, and paste video clips
- Mix audio tracks
- Add text and titles
- Apply effects
2. Break the Video into Shorter Ones
This technique is similar to the previous one, but instead of editing a video, you break it down into several shorter pieces.
The best way to do this is by selecting particular topics and creating separate mini-movies for each one. This way, you can give more detail on each subject. You can also use a narrative structure or other techniques to keep viewers engaged.
Then, you can post these videos:
- In Instagram Stories, which followers can view for up to 24 hours and you can automatically cross-post on Facebook
- As a carousel, which your audience can watch sequentially
- In the Instagram feed along with photos
3. Go Live
Another underrated way to share a video is to do an Instagram Live. This feature lets you live stream for up to 4 hours. When you do a live broadcast, your followers get a notification.
You can also replay the video once it’s finished broadcasting so that more people can watch it afterward. Note, though, that the video will be subject to the same Instagram time limitations.
Advancing Your Video Content Strategy
Unless Instagram changes its policies, you are stuck with its recommended video length limit. What you can control is the engagement, and we have several tips for you:
1. Focus on the Storytelling
Video content is about storytelling. Start by picking a topic or theme. Then map out an engaging story that viewers can relate to. You can use creative techniques like adding actionable titles and interactivity to keep them hooked in the narrative.
- Create an atmosphere of anticipation before the story starts, using naturally occurring transitions when needed. Build in subtle changes of pace to keep viewers on their toes
- Use metaphors when appropriate to emphasize and tie together the elements of your story effectively.
2. Improve the Video’s Visuals and Impact
Whether you’re creating a video for business, school, or personal entertainment, improving the visuals and sound can take your content to the next level:
- Make sure every frame is clear of any unnecessary cluttering. These include text, logos, and other visuals that can distract viewers.
- Apply a simple color theory that complements and enhances each shot.
- Pay attention to how stable your shots are. Try using a tripod or gimbal when necessary.
- Check all audio levels before recording or mixing and be aware of background noises while shooting.
3. Optimize the Video for Better Reach
It’s a good practice to optimize your videos on social media. Here are a few tips:
- Include relevant hashtags in the caption to get more visibility.
- Choose an eye-catching thumbnail that viewers can’t ignore.
- Make sure it fits Instagram’s recommended size and aspect ratio so it doesn’t get cropped.
- Include a call to action in the caption and bio to draw more viewers in.
Video content is essential for any business or brand to interact with its audience on Instagram. But if you want a long form but are hit by the time limit, you can use platforms to meet the platform’s recommended guidelines without compromising the engagement and message.